Pages

2.26.2011

Baker or Chef?

I'm having a 31 party tomorrow, so I was baking a few things this morning to have at the party. My friend Patience made these awesome Meringue cookies for our quad a few weeks ago and I've been waiting for a reason make some...so, this morning I pulled out everything I needed and got to it. I followed directions precisely knowing if I didn't do something right my cookies would not turn out right. I mean...I'm not by any means a perfected chef or baker, but I'm usually pretty good at trying new recipes or even making up my own. But... in this case...it was a disaster!

My cookies turned out to be flat egg/sugar somethings & they were so chewy it wasn't even funny. By the time I let them cool, they were stuck to the pan. This is what was left when I started trying to scrape them off, so I could at least salvage my pan:
Yeah, I don't know if I'll try these again for a while. I was a little bummed they didn't turn out like I had hoped, but I couldn't help but to laugh that it was SUCH a disaster. I've been wanting to get some new cookie sheets, guess I don't have a choice now...I still can't get the "meringues" off the pan! Matt even tried, so I guess I'll be shopping for those pans soon.

On the other hand, I made a very delicious dinner tonight. Saturday night has become our "at-home -date-night" in efforts to eat out less & spend some quality time together. Matt loves shrimp alfredo and I stumbled across a recipe for shrimp pasta earlier today on the KRAFT website. I decided to take the recipe, tweak it a little and attempt to make shrimp alfredo. I've never been a fan of mixing my 2 favorites together (pasta & seafood), but I guess the little one inside of me "encouraged" me to try it tonight...and it was delicious!
I've decided that if I had to choose, I'd be a chef and not a baker! I love sweets, but I'm so much better at making dishes, not desserts.

ps-Recipe for shrimp alfredo to come in another post. :)

No comments: